Randy Petersen, founder of FlyerTalk and the new MilePoint, delivered an incredible speech surmising on the reasoning behind loyalty. Why are people loyal? Is it for the love of the brand, for money, or for both? Listen below for the entire speech.
The FT Awards awarded eight different awards to airline and hotel programs all over the world. Here are the winners for the most important award of the evening:
Program of the Year
The Americas Airline: Air Canada Aeroplan
The Americas Hotel: Marriott Rewards
Europe and Africa Airline: Lufthansa Miles & More
Europe and Africa Hotel: Marriott Rewards
Middle East & Asia/Oceania Airline: Emirates Skywards
Middle East & Asia/Oceania Hotel: IHG Priority Club Rewards
After the awards ended, some of the die-hard frequent flyers stuck around on Saturday to teach aspiring and experienced frequent flyers a thing or two about perfecting our miles-earning potential.
Here are my top 5 tips from the Frequent Traveler University:
- Trying to get bumped? Connect through a hub (Chicago is knows for having a lot of bumps) and always volunteer the minute you get to the gate.
- It is easier to get bumped in Nov-Dec because of bad weather.
- 50,000 miles is the new 25,000 miles for credit card offers.
- Ask for a “bump in bonus” when your credit card launches a great promotions that you can’t take advantage of as a new member. Oftentimes they will extend it.
- Getting out of change fees always depends on the operator. If you can’t talk your way out of them the first time, hang up and try again.