UsingMiles.com Founder, Krista Paul, was recently interviewed by Jean Chatzky, financial editor of NBC’s “Today Show” and contributing Editor of More Magazine, about how to make the most of your frequent flyer miles.
Jean Chatzky is a finance guru, and she believes travelers need to have a strategy in place for earning and using frequent flyer miles, just like you would develop a strategy for starting a new business or planning for retirement.
Paul provided American Express readers with several easy ways to start maximizing their mileage earnings and burnings.
- Utilize airline alliances to travel between partners.
- Don’t use your miles unless you are getting about $0.02 cents per mile in value. If not, it’s almost always better to pay with cash.
- Don’t let miles expire. Use a site like UsingMiles.com to get alerts in all of your programs when miles are going to expire and receive advice on how to keep these hard-earned currencies in your pockets.
- Book your travel on supplier sites (airline and hotel) rather than with Online Travel Agencies to assure you earn your miles.
- Best time to book with miles? 360-365 days before your award flight leaves or under two weeks before the flight leaves.
Please read the article for more great tips on how to get the most out of your frequent flyer miles!